Thursday, February 23, 2006

Something's rotten in the state of Denmark


Well, we have made it to the headlines .. again. And within hours we managed to make it a debate about the freedom of speech instead of manners, ethics and moral, mainly due to the simple fact that we have none of the latter. I am living in a country which used to speak up when someone was in dire straits –whenever justice or human rights were neglected and when the stronger countries bullied the small and weak. Now the country is plagued with racism and prejudice and we are treading people who come here to seek help with such an indifference that it can surely be said that we have no right to call us Christians. We now have rules and laws which can only be compared to Germany in the early thirties and we have a party in the government that very well can stand for the same comparison. A refugee, raped by I don’t know how many soldiers, and critically ill may not receive treatment. A politically refugee coming to Denmark after being tortured in his or her homeland may never be allowed to stay because the person cannot pass a test which 1/3 of all Danes can’t pass either.
I'm living in a country where the head of one of the largest parties of the country can get away with saying that "the Grand Mufti has a lot of power in a underdeveloped, backward and ignorant continent" (Pol. 21.2.).
I’m living in a country so used to freedom that we don’t give a toss about those who still cherish it. We get our values from the telly where every makeover is done on somebody else, i.e. a house, a face or a boob job and every fight is the fight of an individual, not ‘cause he or she has any virtues or competences but simply is better shafting everybody else. Solidarity and empathy have gone down the toilet in a self-centred misconstrued version of liberalism and a romantic-perverted chase after “fuck the Jante-law” legalizing the total absence of the two plus intelligence and manners.
The ugly duckling has drowned in a cesspool of bigotry and the little mermaid is held up in a refugee camp waiting for extradition.
“Give me your hungry, your tired, your poor, I’ll piss on ‘em”
I’m living in a country full of people who have been seduced by a group of populists -
I’m ashamed of my country!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I assume things will be even getting worse this year. I must say I just visited Arabia and was treated as a welcome guest where ever I put my foot.

8:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home